Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Elder Park Moonlight

For my first 'real' post on Exposing Shadows, I thought I'd share a recent image, taken with my fathers Mamiya 645E medium format camera.

The 645E is a simplified model introduced in 2000, having a fixed (metered) prism finder, and fixed film back (that accepts film inserts). It's a bit more plastically than the M645, but feels solid enough in use.

I purchased the camera on my fathers behalf, and put a test roll of Ilford HP5+ (one of my favourite films) through before passing it on. I planned to shoot part of the roll indoors, taking some portraits of the kids, so I pushed it one stop to ISO 800.

After taking most of the roll, I headed into work early one morning, camera in tow, so that I could finish off the last few frames. I planned to take a walk around North Terrace, but noticed the moon lighting up the clouds across Elder Park. The beautifully lit rotunda provided a nice foreground subject, with the river and city skyline in the background.

I setup my tripod, attached the cable release, switched to manual mode, and took two shots. The first was ruined as I bumped the camera trying to shield it from the wind, but the second turned out nicely.

Elder Park Moonlight
Mamiya 645E w 80mm f2.8, Many Seconds @ f11


Elder Park is located on the northern side of the Adelaide CBD. Its a public park on the banks of the River Torrens, named after the Elder family who were early settlers to the area. For the cricket fans out there, its right across from the Adelaide Oval.

This photo was taken from just off King William St (see map below), looking WSW. It is a short walk from the city centre, and Rundle Mall (main shopping strip in the CBD). The River Torrens area on the opposite side (closer to Adelaide Oval) is also a nice location to photograph the Adelaide City Skyline (30mins either side of sunset is typically the best time).


No comments:

Post a Comment